Wednesday - February 25, 2009

From: Woburn, MA
Topic: Propagation, Groundcovers
Title: Virginia wild strawberry plants for New Hampshire or Massachusetts

QUESTION:

Where can I find Virginia wild strawberry plants or seeds for my garden and will they grow up north in New Hampshire or Massachusetts?

ANSWER:

In our Native Plant Database, we found four plants with the common name "Virginia strawberry," of which three are shown to be native to both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. To locate plants or seeds, go to our Native Plant Suppliers section, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape and environment consultants in your general area. They all have contact information, so you can find out if they carry the plants or seeds you are looking for. Since these plants were referred to as weeds in several of the online sources we looked at, finding plants for sale might be a little difficult. You might check with the Massachusetts Native Plant Society  or The University of Massachusetts at Amherst Agriculture and Landscape Program websites, in hopes of locating a plant sharing group where you could get starts of these plants. 

VIRGINIA STRAWBERRIES FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MASSACHUSETTS

Fragaria virginiana (Virginia strawberry)

Fragaria virginiana ssp. glauca (Virginia strawberry) - pictures

Fragaria virginiana ssp. virginiana (Virginia strawberry) - pictures