Monday - May 02, 2005

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Huisache blooms when freeze is over

QUESTION:

I live in San Antonio, TX and have heard that when the Huisache blooms all danger of frost or freeze is over. Is that true? And, this year to date (April 22, 2005) we have not seen the Huisache bloom. Is that weird?

ANSWER:

I have also long heard that the risk of frost has not passed until the huisache blooms! When I was growing up in Georgia, the story was that we could have frost anytime up until Easter. Early Easter, early last frost, etc. Who knows what exactly is on a huisache's mind. However, I have long believed that common folk wisdom is based on fact, is usually correct, and right or wrong adds wonderful flavor to our lives.