Mr. Smarty Plants - Hedge plant for Maui.

Tuesday - February 17, 2009

From: Pukalani, HI
Region: Hawaii
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Hedge plant for Maui.

QUESTION:

Question: I live in Pukalani, Maui, Hawaii and would like to put a "living fence" around my yard for some privacy. Ideally, I want something that is going to grow fast and about 8+ feet tall for a hedge-like fence. I'd prefer something safe for my dogs, so I need to make sure that nothing with poisonous berries or leaves end up in the yard (i.e. no oleander). Mahalo

ANSWER:

Growing conditions can vary widely in Hawaii depending on local weather, soil properties and other conditions.  We are not experts on poisonous plants, though we know of no problems with the species listed in this answer.  However, you can search many toxic plant databases online or consult with your vet to be sure.

Here is a list of Hawaiian native plant species that might work for you:

Hibiscus waimeae, Koki‘o ke‘oke‘o or Hawaiian white hibiscus

Pipturus albidus, Mamaki

Psydrax odorata, Alahe'e

Senna gaudichaudii, Kolomana

Cibotium glaucum, Hapu'u pulu or Hawaiian tree fern

Styphelia tameiameiae, 'A'ali'i mahu

Dodonaea viscosa, 'A'ali'i

Gardenia brighamii, Nanu

Nototrichium sandwicense, Kulu'i

Nototrichium humile, Humble Kulu'i

Pittosporum confertiflorum, Ha'awa

Santalum freycinetianum, 'Iliahi or Sandalwood

Sesbania tomentosa, 'Ohai