En EspaÑol

Friday - February 20, 2009

From: Laredo, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pests, Transplants
Title: Pest on leaves of native Texas persimmon in Laredo, TX

QUESTION:

I have a transplanted a Texas persimmon tree from the wild. It has some globes in the leaves. It seems like some pest injected something from underside of leaves. Any suggestion? What is happening to my tree? By the way, it is a beautiful 8 ft. tree.

ANSWER:

First, congratulations on successfully transplanting a Diospyros texana (Texas persimmon) from the wild. This is not easy, as it has an awesome root, but apparently you did very well. When we did research on this plant, we learned that it is extremely disease-resistant and has few pests. none normally serious. It sounds like you have some insect-produced galls, which are unsightly but rarely dangerous. This About.com website Dealing with Leaf Galls  likened them to insect bites on a human-leaves a little bump, irritating, but then it goes away. Spraying the galls is not useful, because by the time you see the gall, the insect is long gone. Since we are not entomologists, we would suggest you contact the Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Office for Webb County. They may know if there are similar problems in your area, and can suggest control, if you feel the problem is serious enough to warrant that. If you do spray, it will have to be in the early Spring, when the insects are still around.

Diospyros texana

Diospyros texana

Diospyros texana

Diospyros texana