Mr. Smarty Plants - Texas mountain laurel roots and septic systems

Thursday - February 12, 2009

From: Yuma, AZ
Topic: Septic Systems
Title: Texas mountain laurel roots and septic systems

QUESTION:

I want to plant a Texas Mountain Laurel tree in our RV Resort. The park must approve new plantings, and they are concerned about any root system that might endanger their septic systems or pipes. They can find no information in their reference material on this tree's roots. Can you provide us with information on the Texas Mountain Laurel root system? Thank you,

ANSWER:

First, you should know that we cannot recommend Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) for you project since it is not native to your area.  Instead we hope that you will find a suitable plant that is indiginous to the Yuma, Arizona area.  However, we doubt that the roots of Texas mountain-laurel would be a problem for your RV Resort's septic system.  This species grows in very dry areas and does not perform well in compacted or wet soils.  The roots of this species should not find their way into septic or drainfield pipes.