Mr. Smarty Plants - ID for Dill-like weed

Thursday - February 12, 2009

From: richmond, VA
Title: ID for Dill-like weed

QUESTION:

I live in Richmond,VA.and have a man made dam for a pond fed by several springs. There's a scruffy weed that looks like dill weed when it emerges in the spring but is so tough that I can't pull it up by hand and it has taken over the banks. I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it short of extensive round up. please advise.

ANSWER:

It is very difficult  - and usually not possible - for Mr. Smarty Plants  to identify a plant from a written description.  However, we will be happy to try to ID your mystery plant from good-quality digital images.  Usually a series of well-focused, close-up images of the plant's leaves, flowers, stems, fruit (if available - and especially if the plant is related to dill), and an overall shot of the plant yield the best results.  Please go to the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants Plant Identification page for specific details on submitting images for ID.  Once we know the identity of the plant, we can advise you on control strategies.