Wednesday - February 11, 2009

From: Sedona, AZ
Title: Cupressus arizonica with central leader cut in Sedona, AZ

QUESTION:

Will a healthy Cupressus arizonica continue to grow in its native habitat, in Arizona, once the central leader has been cut?

ANSWER:

About the best we can say is that the Cupressus arizonica (Arizona cypress) is not going to have a Christmas tree shape. We found very little mention of the central leader, except for a USDA Forestry Service website Arizona Cypress.  The only reference there was that it should be grown with a single leader. It didn't say it would drop dead if it lost its leader. This is a native tree, accustomed to harsh conditions and often used as a windbreak. We would bet that it will persist, and continue to grow, if not in quite the traditional cone shape that is usually associated with the tree.