Mr. Smarty Plants - Cupressus arizonica with central leader cut in Sedona, AZ

Wednesday - February 11, 2009

From: Sedona, AZ
Title: Cupressus arizonica with central leader cut in Sedona, AZ

QUESTION:

Will a healthy Cupressus arizonica continue to grow in its native habitat, in Arizona, once the central leader has been cut?

ANSWER:

About the best we can say is that the Cupressus arizonica (Arizona cypress) is not going to have a Christmas tree shape. We found very little mention of the central leader, except for a USDA Forestry Service website Arizona Cypress.  The only reference there was that it should be grown with a single leader. It didn't say it would drop dead if it lost its leader. This is a native tree, accustomed to harsh conditions and often used as a windbreak. We would bet that it will persist, and continue to grow, if not in quite the traditional cone shape that is usually associated with the tree. 

Cupressus arizonica

Cupressus arizonica

Cupressus arizonica

Cupressus arizonica