Thursday - February 12, 2009

From: Decatur, GA
Region: Select Region
Title: Evergreen, flowering hedge shrub for GA.

QUESTION:

Hi, there! I am looking for a shrub for planting as a hedge in Decatur, GA. I have hard acidic clay and I would like an evergreen flowering shrub to line the edges of my backyard to separate it from my neighbors.' Something that grows no more than 10 feet and doesn't need a lot of pruning to look good. Thank you!

ANSWER:

Your requirements are pretty limiting.  Two species that generally fit the bill are flowering, but their flowers are not showy; Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) and Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) will both work as hedge/screens in your area.  Both of these species offer attractive fruit.