Mr. Smarty Plants - Bacterial spot in peach tree in McDade TX

Thursday - February 05, 2009

From: McDade, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Bacterial spot in peach tree in McDade TX

QUESTION:

I have a Red Globe peach tree which was planted in February 2008. The local agricultural extension agent identified the tree as having Bacterial Spot in November 2008. They recommended copper hydroxide, ziram, or streptomycin to eliminate the spot, but they did not know any vendors in the Austin, Texas area where these products can be obtained. Can you recommend any sources for these materials?

ANSWER:

You did the right thing going to the agricultural extension agent for help with your peach tree. The expertise and experience of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is limited to plants native to North America. Prunus persica probably originated in China and was not introduced into the United States until the nineteenth century. And we don't have a recommended vendors list for disease treatments for plants. We would suggest that you contact large local plant nurseries and inquire if they stock the items you are looking for.