Mr. Smarty Plants - Wildflower mix for East Texas

Wednesday - February 04, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Wildflower mix for East Texas

QUESTION:

Hello! My boss is interested in planting a wild flower mix along his county road and the road that leads to his house. They live in between Athens and Palestine and have sandy loam soil .. which flowers would you recommend?

ANSWER:

The first thing that we would recommend is that this planting not take place until late Fall. The best practice on seeding is to do it when the flowers do it; that is, when they have finished blooming and made and scattered their seeds, which in Texas is in the Fall. Hopefully, there will be Fall rains, the seeds will get some cold stratification from the Winter weather, and in early Spring will be ready to start popping up. Properly done, this process will be self-perpetuating. Not all the seeds will germinate the first year, some will wait for prime conditions for one, two or more years. In addition, the ones that do come up will do their own seed creating, and the area will become rich in Texas wildflowers.

Rather than make individual flower recommendations, let us refer you to some experts in Texas wildflower mixes, Native American Seed in Junction, Texas.  They have an online catalog and do mail order. Each mix will detail the plants included and you can look them up in our Native Plant Database. We looked at some mixes and here are some of our favorites for your project.

Lady Bird's Legacy Wildflower Mix

Caddo Mix - great for East Texas

Hummers and Singers - attract the birds

Texas-Oklahoma Roadside Mix

Here are some of the selections from the Caddo Mix, follow the link to the database and find out more about the plant. You can, of course, add other plants by purchasing individual packets of seeds.

Dracopis amplexicaulis (clasping coneflower)

Monarda citriodora (lemon beebalm)

Gaillardia aristata (common gaillardia)

Chamaecrista fasciculata (partridge pea)

Coreopsis tinctoria (golden tickseed)

Rudbeckia fulgida (orange coneflower)

Phlox drummondii (annual phlox)

Desmanthus illinoensis (Illinois bundleflower)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Physostegia intermedia (slender false dragonhead)

Aphanostephus skirrhobasis (Arkansas dozedaisy)

Dracopis amplexicaulis

Monarda citriodora

Gaillardia aristata

Chamaecrista fasciculata

Coreopsis tinctoria

Rudbeckia fulgida

Phlox drummondii

Desmanthus illinoensis

Oenothera speciosa

Physostegia intermedia

Aphanostephus skirrhobasis