En EspaÑol

Friday - January 30, 2009

From: St. Petersburg, FL
Title: Leaves on non-native Rose Cactus

QUESTION:

I have a Rose Cactus (Pereskia grandifolia). The leaves have all dropped off. I was wondering if this is normal in the winter. Also, is the pear shaped fruit edible.

ANSWER:

Pereskia grandifolia (Rose cactus) is native to Brazil, and therefore not in our area of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We did learn that the leaves normally drop off in Winter, but could not find any reference to the edibility of the fruit. It apparently is very fast-growing and can be invasive. We found this website, Rose Cactus from Desert Tropicals, which might give you more information.