Saturday - January 24, 2009

Title: Leaf color in non-native sago palms

I have two sego palms planted in my front yard. Lots of sun. The fronds have turned a lime green color instead of the dark green color. Please help...(alkaline soil)

At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, our expertise, as well as our experience, is with plants native to North America.  Cycas revoluta, sago palm is native to Japan. You probably already know that it is not a true palm, but a cycad, a very primitive plant that had ancestors around when there were dinosaurs lunching on them. Since it is non-native, we have no information on it in our Native Plant Database, but found two websites that might be able to help you:  Jungle Music  My Cycad is in Trouble and another Jungle Music website The Sago Palm, Cycas revoluta.