Mr. Smarty Plants - Mosquito repellant plant?

Sunday - January 18, 2009

From: North Miami Beach, FL
Topic: Non-Natives, Pests
Title: Mosquito repellant plant?
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

Is there such a thing as mosquito repellent plants? If so, what are they?

ANSWER:

Your best bet for ridding your garden of mosquitoes is to consider one of their breeding requirements—availability of water in which to lay their eggs—and follow the recommendations for ridding your garden of mosquito breeding sites in About Mosquito Control from Miami-Dade County Public Works.

We found some websites that listed some mosquito repellent plants, and will give you their web addresses. We have no proof one way or the other that any of these work. Our impression is that usually they don't. And we saw no plants native to North America suggested, so they would not be in our Native Plant Database. 

Gomestic Gardening Five Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Iowa State University Extension Horticulture and Home Pest News

World Village Mosquito Repellent Plants