Mr. Smarty Plants - Best performing species on green roofs

Wednesday - January 14, 2009

From: Halifax, NS
Region: Canada
Topic: Green Roofs
Title: Best performing species on green roofs
Answered by: Dr. Mark Simmons and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Hello, I am a graduate student in Nova Scotia Canada studying native plant communities on green roofs. I have been reading about the native planted green roof at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and am interested to know how well the native plants performed and survived in your region of the world. Thank you, and great website!

ANSWER:

We wish we could give you a more definitive answer, but it's still a bit too early.  Right now we are still analyzing the data. There is considerable variation both among plant types and among roof types (i.e. a plant that does well on one roof type may do poorly on another). Although there are many exceptions, overall, as a guide, the grasses seem to do the best. The list can be found at http://www.wildflower.org/collections/collection.php?collection=greenroof_species