Wednesday - December 24, 2008

From: Virginia Beach, VA
Title: Native wildflowers for farm in Virginia

QUESTION:

I am looking for wildflowers native to VA to spread in various beds around our Virginia Beach farm - does a mix exist, similar to what would have been spread along highways, that you can help me locate? Ideally, including diffferent perrenials that bloom all season. Thank you.

ANSWER:

The Virginia Department of Transportation has the Virginia Wildflower Program with a a list of the wildflowers that they use.  Not all are native to Virginia, but they do indicate which ones are. They also have a list of Wildflower Seed Sources.   Additionally, you can find a list of "commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in Virginia" by selecting the state from the map or pull-down menu on our  Recommended Species page.  You can then "Narrow Your Search" by making choices under the various criteria (e.g., Habit—general appearance, Light requirement, Moisture requirement).  Also, t sounds as if you might benefit from reading one or more of our "How to Articles" (e.g., Meadow Gardening).  You will notice that the "Meadow Gardening" article recommends planting grasses with the wildflowers.  Here are a few wildflowers from our Recommended Species list and some attractive grasses that are native to Virginia:

Aquilegia canadensis (red columbine)

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower)

Liatris spicata (dense blazing star)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Oenothera fruticosa (narrowleaf evening-primrose)

Phlox divaricata (wild blue phlox)

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae (New England aster)

Andropogon glomeratus (bushy bluestem)

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Carex blanda (eastern woodland sedge)

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats)

Muhlenbergia capillaris (hairawn muhly)

Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem)

Aquilegia canadensis

Lobelia cardinalis

Liatris spicata

Monarda fistulosa

Oenothera fruticosa

Phlox divaricata

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae

Andropogon glomeratus

Bouteloua curtipendula

Carex blanda

Muhlenbergia capillaris