From:St. Marys, , PA Region: Mid-Atlantic Topic: Trees Title: Are hollies toxic? Answered by: Nan Hampton
Can I use holly from my landscaping to decorate food at Christmas?
Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you mean our native Ilex opaca (American holly) with its beautiful red berries. The North Carolina Poisonous Plants Database says that the berries in large quantities from Ilex opaca can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The Canadian Poisonous Plants Informations System agrees about the toxicity of Ilex opaca and also lists the berries of the English holly, Ilex aquifolium as being toxic. The foliage of these two hollies, apparently, is not poisonous. So, Mr. Smarty Plants recommends that you not put any berries on plates, platters or other containers with foods. You might decorate tables/counters with the holly, but make sure the berries aren't in place where they might be considered a food item by children and pets—or adults, for that matter.
Tiny holes oozing sap from Austin August 22, 2012 - My ash tree becomes loaded with butterflies on the trunk. At closer inspection, I see they are drinking sap which is coming from small holes in the trunk. Are the butterflies creating the holes? I ... view the full question and answer
Oak sap dripping on driveway in Austin November 06, 2011 - Why would oak sap be dripping on driveway at this time when other oaks the neighbors have are not. view the full question and answer
Life expectancy for Ulmus crassifolia June 21, 2007 - What is the life expectancy for a cedar elm? We live in Austin, and the tree was likely here before the house, which was built in 1939. view the full question and answer