Mr. Smarty Plants - First spring wildflower to bloom in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Monday - December 15, 2008

From: Pittsburgh, PA
Title: First spring wildflower to bloom in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

In Pittsburgh PA what spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom?

ANSWER:

Below is a list of early spring wildflowers found in western Pennsylvania.  The two earliest would be those blooming in February:

Erigenia bulbosa (harbinger of spring) and Symplocarpus foetidus (skunk cabbage)

The remainder of the flowers on the list begin blooming in March.  I don't know that I could put them in "spring appearance" order, but I do think I could put Taraxacum officinale (common dandelion) near the beginning of the list.

Erythronium americanum (dogtooth violet)

Epigaea repens (trailing arbutus)

Sanguinaria canadensis (bloodroot)

Ranunculus fascicularis (early buttercup)

Stylophorum diphyllum (celandine poppy)

Cardamine douglassii (limestone bittercress)  and photos

Hepatica nobilis var. acuta (sharplobe hepatica)

Thalictrum thalictroides (rue anemone)

Saxifraga virginiensis (early saxifrage)

Claytonia virginica (Virginia springbeauty)

Claytonia caroliniana (Carolina springbeauty)

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

Draba verna (Whitlow grass or spring draba)

You can find more native plants of Pennsylvania by doing a "Combination Search" in our Native Plant Database and you can "Narrow Your Search" by using various Characters (e.g., Habit (general appearance), Light requirement, etc.).

Visit the Western Pennsylvania Wildflowers page to find more photos of the above plants (search alphabetically by common name) as well as many more plants, both native and non-native, found in western Pennsylvania.

Erigenia bulbosa

Symplocarpus foetidus

Taraxacum officinale

Erythronium americanum

Epigaea repens

Sanguinaria canadensis

Ranunculus fascicularis

Stylophorum diphyllum

Hepatica nobilis var. acuta

Thalictrum thalictroides

Saxifraga virginiensis

Claytonia virginica

Claytonia caroliniana

Viola sororia