Sunday - November 30, 2008

From: Ocala, FL
Title: Non-native Bird of Paradise plant (Strelitzia reginae)

QUESTION:

I have two Bird of Paradise plants on my lanai (Marion County, FL) and they are both in large pots. Nobody but me seems to like them at my house and I have been asked if I could trim all the leaves off to let it regrow. They are both huge now and I think that is the problem. Can I cut all the leaves off?

ANSWER:

Thank you for submitting your question to Mr. Smarty Plants. Our expertise is in the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. Unfortunately, your question about Strelitzia reginae (Bird of Paradise) falls outside the scope of our expertise since it is a native of South Africa. The link given has information and links about this plant and includes other links to more information.  Mr. Smarty Plants also suggests you try contacting your county extension agency or posting your question to one of the many gardening sites that deal with non-native ornamentals.