Friday - December 05, 2008

From: Derby, CT
Title: Looking for copper beach (Fagus sylvatica)

QUESTION:

I would like to purchase a copper beech tree to plant in CT as a gift. Where can I find one to purchase?

ANSWER:

Thank you for submitting your question to Mr. Smarty Plants. Our expertise is in the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. Unfortunately, your question about Fagus sylvatica Purpurea Group (copper beech) falls outside the scope of our expertise since it is native to Europe and not to North America.  I suggest that you call nurseries in your area or search for a source online or perhaps you would consider planting  Fagus grandifolia (American beech), native to Connecticut, which has leaves that turn copper-colored in the fall. You can search for nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants in our National Suppliers Directory.

Fagus grandifolia

Fagus grandifolia

Fagus grandifolia