Tuesday - December 09, 2008

Title: Will Texas kidneywood grow in dappled shade?

Will Texas Kidneywood be successful as an understory plant in dappled shade? There is a location near the house, under a small grove of established live oaks and cedar elms, that needs an airy screening plant. Thanks for the help.

Our Native Plant Database says that the light requirement for Eysenhardtia texana (Texas kidneywood) is sun.  Jan Wrede in  Trees, Shrubs, and Vines of the Texas Hill Country, however, gives the light requirement as sun or partial shade, so I would think that it will certainly grow in partial shade but will be happier if it gets full sun for some period during the day.  Here are a three other choices for native shrubs or trees with a similar look that will grow in partial shade:

Styphnolobium affine (Eve's necklacepod)

Leucaena retusa (littleleaf leadtree)

Mimosa borealis (fragrant mimosa)

Eysenhardtia texana

Styphnolobium affine

Leucaena retusa

Mimosa borealis