En Espa—ol

Monday - December 01, 2008

From: Fort Worth, TX
Title: Is it illegal in Texas to pick bluebonnets? No.

QUESTION:

Is it illegal in Texas to pick a bluebonnet?

ANSWER:

As you know, the bluebonnet has been designated by the Texas Legislature in 1901 as "The State Flower of Texas" Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet). This has probably led to the urban myth about it being illegal to pick bluebonnets.  In 1971, the Legislature designated four additional species of bluebonnets as the state flower so that there are now five different bluebonnets that are the state flower.

The Texas Department of Public Safety assures us that it is not illegal to pick bluebonnets, and in this link, makes some common-sense suggestions about not trespassing on private property to pick them, and using caution when stopping along side public roadways to see them.

Mr. Smarty Plants would prefer that you didn't pick the bluebonnet flowers, but leave them for others to admire. This also allows the plants to set seed for next year's crop of beautiful flowers. Another way of saying this would be: "Don't mess with Texas Bluebonnets!"

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Sandyland bluebonnet
Lupinus subcarnosus