En EspaÑol

Monday - March 28, 2005

From: SF, CA
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Pustules on geranium

QUESTION:

I have a geranium that has developed oblong red/brown pustules/raised bumps on the undersides of the lower leaves. The foliage around the bumps is stil green but everything else has yellowed

ANSWER:

Thank you for writing! The problem you describe sounds like oedema (sometimes spelled: edema; pronounced: ed-ee'-ma). Oedema is not a disease, but a physiological disorder. It is a problem with many plants, but is an absolute disaster for geraniums (Pelargonium X hortorum) -- especially ivy geraniums (P. peltatum). Native geraniums are not as affected by the condition. Oedema is a result of ruptured cells, usually on the underside of a leaf, caused by a complex of issues involving water availability, humidity, temperature, air movement, and plant nutrient levels. In severe cases, the plant will drop the injured foliage, sometimes denuding the plant. The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension website has a nice article on Geranium Diseases including a section on oedema.