Mr. Smarty Plants - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone of Worcester, Massachusetts

Tuesday - November 11, 2008

From: Worcester, MA
Topic: General Botany
Title: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone of Worcester, Massachusetts

QUESTION:

What zone is Worcester, Massachusetts?

ANSWER:

We went to the USDA Hardiness Zone Map on the US National Arboretum site, clicked on the area of the US map in which Massachusetts appears, and found that Worcester, in Central Massachusetts is in Zone 5a (average minimum temperature -15 to -20) to Zone 5b (average minimum temperature -10 to -15). Because of differences in elevation, "micro-climates", winds, etc., it is never possible to exactly pinpoint a hardiness zone in a specific place, so we always provide a range.