Friday - November 21, 2008

From: West Hartford, CT
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Native trees for privacy screen in Connecticut

QUESTION:

I am looking to replace a row of white pine trees with something else along the border between our yard and neighbor's yard. We only get afternoon sun and we need something that will grow to around six feet pretty quickly. We live in CT. The white pines get way too big and eventually lost the needles at the bottom and so you lose the privacy. What would you recommend we consider to replace the white pines for privacy? Thanks so much. Ginny

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants assumes that you want another evergreen to replace those pines.  Most of the evergreens native to Connecticut grow relatively tall, but luckily there are shorter varieties available for most of them.  Here are three recommendations:

Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic white cedar), 40-75 feet. Here is information about several shorter varieties.

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar), 30-90 feet. Information about shorter varieties.

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae), 40 to 60 feet.  Information about shorter varieties.

Chamaecyparis thyoides

Juniperus virginiana

Thuja occidentalis