Friday - November 07, 2008

From: Huntington Beach, CA
Title: Small flowering tree for Huntingdon Beach, CA

QUESTION:

I am looking for a short approx. 10 foot tall tree to plant in the 2 corners of my backyard near a wall. I would like them to be thin approx. 5 feet wide where light can get through so my other plants will get sun. There is mostly shade because of the 6 foot wall. I like trees that flower. Can you help me?

ANSWER:

Not many trees choose to remain that low, so we have added a couple of shrubs that can be trimmed up into a small tree. These have all been selected because they tolerate shade or part shade, and are fairly open, permitting sun to get to other plants. Two are deciduous, which means they will not shade your winter plants. All are found in Southern California.

Cercis canadensis var. texensis (Texas redbud) - blooms in early Spring, before the heart-shaped leaves appear, deciduous

Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) - deciduous, not a true willow, has beautiful pink, purple and white blooms in the summer

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry) - evergreen shrub, can be pruned up to small tree

Morella californica (California wax myrtle) - evergreen shrub, also trainable into small tree, aromatic foliage, attracts birds; Pictures