Monday - October 27, 2008

From: Great Neck , NY
Title: Wintering over of non-native Myriophyllum brasiliensis

I have a Myriophyllum brasiliensis in my outdoor fountain which I drain in the cold weather. How can I keep the plant alive over the winter? Thank you.

Thank you for your question. While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand. Myriophyllum aquaticum, often sold in retail stores as Myriophyllum brasiliensis, is native to the Southern Hemisphere, and is listed as an invasive water plant on the above-referenced website from the Massachusetts Government.