Mr. Smarty Plants - Will non-native Star Jasmine survive outside in winter in Ohio

Monday - October 27, 2008

From: Bethel, OH
Title: Will non-native Star Jasmine survive outside in winter in Ohio

QUESTION:

Hi! I have two Star Jasmine in pots (we brought them back to southern Ohio from CA this year). Should we bring them inside for the winter? Would they do okay outside next winter if we plant them in the ground, rather than keeping them potted? Thank you!

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise at the Wildflower Center is with plants native to North America and, unfortunately, star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is a native of China, not North America. However, we can tell you that the USDA hardiness zone rating for the star jasmine is 8-10 (annual minimum temperature of 10 to 40 degrees F); whereas, Bethel, Ohio appears to be in Zone 5b, average annual minimum temperature minus 10 deg. to minus 15 deg. However, the Floridata Star Jasmine website referenced above does say it makes a great indoor or greenhouse plant in the winter.