Mr. Smarty Plants - Care for non-native ice plant in Virginia

Sunday - October 12, 2008

From: Spotsylvania, VA
Title: Care for non-native ice plant in Virginia

QUESTION:

Regarding the ice plant in Virginia - do you cut it back or just trim or just leave it alone before winter?

ANSWER:

We found this very confusing-there seem to be several different botanical names for these plants, all of which are referred to as "ice plant." The one characteristic they seem to share is that they are all non-native to North America, apparently originating in South Africa.

Due to the large volume of questions Mr. Smarty Plants has been receiving, we are asking that questions be confined to plants native to North America, which is the focus of the work done by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. You might want to read this Dave's Garden Forum on Delosperma cooperi, one of the botanical names for ice plant, and perhaps follow that to other sites in Google for information.