En EspaÑol

Tuesday - March 22, 2005

From: Lawrence, KS
Title: Smarty Plants on Helianthus annuus

QUESTION:

I am doing an Earth Fair project on the Helianthus annuus. I would like to know if you possibly had any information on this subject. Some of the things I would like to know are: How big does it get? How long does it live? What eats it? Where does it live (habitat and climate requirements)? What laws protect it? Does it have economic value? How does it protect itself? Is it poisonous to humans? other animals? How does it reproduce? What species of plants and animals would you expect to find in the same area as where it lives? why? Is it common in Kansas? What parts is it most common to? What time of year are you most likely to see them? Where other than Kansas can they be found? Is it maintaining a stable population in Kansas? Other places in it's range?

ANSWER:

You can find the answer to most of your questions by reading the entry in the Native Plants Database on the Wildflower Center web page about Helianthus annuus, common sunflower. Be sure to check the information under the Menu categories (Benefits, Bloom, Characters, etc.) at the top of the page. Another source to check is the Kansas State University web page of Kansas Wildflowers and Grasses.

For questions concerning the populations of common sunflowers in Kansas, you might contact the:

Kansas Wilflower Society
R. L. McGregor Herbarium
University of Kansas
2045 Constant Avenue
Lawrence, KS 66047-3729

Common sunflower
Helianthus annuus