Friday - October 03, 2008

Title: Problems with non-native navel orange

Hello Green Guru, Question: Why hasn't Navel Orange Tree grown or sprouted new branches? It's 3 years old and is about 5 feet tall and has remained this size. It hasn't grown at all. It only has drops it's leaves in the winter and regrows them in the spring. Can you please explain what could be happening and what can I do to make it grow, so we can enjoy some fruit?

Due to the large volume of questions Mr. Smarty Plants has been receiving, we are asking that questions be confined to plants native to North America, which is the focus of the work done by the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.The orange tree is a native of Southeast Asia, and has been extensively hybridized, far out of the range of our expertise. You might check this previous answer for some possible sources of information. Also, we suggest contacting your Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Office for Travis County