Thursday - March 17, 2005

From: Houston, TX
Title: Native Hill Country grasses, flowers for April garden show

I will be a first ever (!) exhibitor in my garden club's garden show this April 7. Our theme is The Passion of Texas - my specific category is The Hill Country. Help!!! All materials I use must be alive and cannot be dried. My placement in the house is a sideboard which measures 73" x 24". My idea is to use an old metal pig trough (nice and rusty) as my container which I would like to fill with Hill Country grasses, flowers and branches. I would like this arrangement to be graceful, natural and lyrical - and be an appropriate reflection of that beautiful part of our state. I think it would work to go low and wide with the arrangement. What would you suggest I use that would be: 1. Available and at its best the first week of April? 2. Available and could survive shipment? 3. Not obscenely expensive? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

You should be able to find exactly what you need by going to the Hill Country Horticulture part of the Native Plants Database on the Wildflower Center web page and performing an advanced search. For instance, if you pick "April" from Bloom Characteristics and "Grass/Grasslike" from Growth Form for your search, you will find that purple three-awn (Aristida purpurea) is one of the eight grasses that meets your search criteria. You can also add a choice for "Bloom Color" under Bloom Characteristics and "Light", "Water", and "Soil" under Growing Conditions.

By selecting "Texas" in the "Nurseries" database in the National Suppliers Directory you can find native plant nurseries in your area to contact to determine the availability and cost of your chosen plants.