En EspaÑol

Thursday - October 02, 2008

From: New Castle, PA
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Edible plants in Western Pennsylvania

Can you please give me a list of five edible plants in Western Pennsylvania and the seasons in which they are available?

Any plant is edible, especially if you're a deer. However, we suspect you mean vegetables, fruits and herbs, edible by humans. Most of those are either non-native to North America or have been so extensively hybridized as to bear little resemblance to their original form. So, they would be out of our field of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' work is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand.

However, we do have a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer that deals with almost that exact subject, and gives instructions for doing the research.