En EspaÑol

Monday - September 29, 2008

From: Nashville, TN
Title: Native vine for privacy fence in Tennessee

QUESTION:

I am looking for a vine for privacy that grows in width not up; thru a standard 4' chain link fence. Colorfull. Can you help?

ANSWER:

Here are suggestions for native Tennessee vines.  If there is something for them to climb up on, any of these vines would happily grow up rather than sideways.  However, on your chain link fence they should be content to grow sideways along the fence with some encouragement from you.

Ampelopsis cordata (heartleaf peppervine) and more information and photos

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine)

Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet) and  more information and photos

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria)

Ampelopsis cordata

Bignonia capreolata

Celastrus scandens

Gelsemium sempervirens

Lonicera sempervirens

Wisteria frutescens