Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native Senna corymbosa

Sunday - September 28, 2008

From: Iredell, TX
Title: Non-native Senna corymbosa

QUESTION:

I have a large Texas Senna tree - at least 7'x8'. It is covered in beautiful yellow blooms; however, it will need to be pruned in the winter. Please let me know how much to prune it and when is the best time to do so.

ANSWER:

There is a plant, Seymeria texana (Texas blacksenna), that is endemic to Texas, in a few Central and South Central Texas counties. (USDA Plant Profile county map) We couldn't even find any pictures of it except in our own Native Plant Database, see pictures below. It appears to be a weedy, semi-vine plant that grows in difficult areas, and we are pretty sure this is not the plant you are asking about.

We then went Googling on "Texas Senna Tree" and found this forum, Dave's Garden, where we learned that Senna corymbosa, Texas Senna Tree, is instead a native to Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. Retailers can, and do, put any name they choose on a plant, and apparently felt that naming this plant after Texas would make it more attractive to buyers.

Picture of Senna corymbosa from Dave's Garden.

While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand.We suggest you Google on the botanical name Senna corymbosa, where you may find some more information. 

Seymeria texana

Seymeria texana

Seymeria texana