Wednesday - September 24, 2008

From: Pomona, MO
Title: Plant identification

I found a flower about 5 inches tall and it is Pinkish White the head of it hangs down and looks like a rose that hasn't bloomed yet. It reminds me of an Orchid like Fairy . Its Mystic like! what is it I have been looking at pictures but no Matches. I found it in the bottom of my woods looking for mushrooms.

From your description Mr. Smarty Plants thinks this sounds like Monotropa uniflora (Indianpipe).  Here are more photos and information.  If this doesn't happen to be it, here are two websites of Missouri flowers that you can search by flower color—Missouriplants.com and Missouri Wildflower Guide.  And, if you don't find your flower there, please send us photos and we will do our very best to identify it.  Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos for identification. 

Monotropa uniflora

Monotropa uniflora

Monotropa uniflora

Monotropa uniflora