Mr. Smarty Plants - Plants for shade in Texas

Sunday - September 14, 2008

From: Plum Grove, TX
Title: Plants for shade in Texas

QUESTION:

I am looking for shade tolerant shrubs to plant near our carport. We live in Plum Grove, near Splendora, Texas. I don't want anything with thorns that will scratch the paint or me while getting in and out of the car. We have a lot of shade but need something to soften the hardscape.

ANSWER:

You can search for plants yourself by choosing the East Texas section of the map on our Recommended Species page.  This will give you a list of more than 130 native species that are commercially available for landscaping in East Texas.  You can then pick the Narrow Your Search option and choose 'Shade - Less than 2 hours of sun per day' and/or 'Part shade - 2-6 hours of sun per day' from the Light requirement option.  You can also choose 'Shrub' from the Habit (general appearance) option.  Here are a few recommendations from the 'Shade - ...' option.  If you have more than 2 hours of sun per day ('Part shade' option), there are many more recommended species to choose from.

Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey tea)

Hydrangea quercifolia (oakleaf hydrangea)

Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)

Rhododendron oblongifolium (Texas azalea)

Ceanothus americanus

Hydrangea quercifolia

Rhus glabra

Rhododendron oblongifolium