Sunday - September 14, 2008

From: Cary, NC
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Evergreen trees for screen in North Carolina

Recently moved into a new "cluster" development where homes are very close together. Need to plant bushes / trees for privacy and would like fast growing ones that are good in the south. Attempted to plant a long row of Leland Cypress only to see them all die. Have 2 magnolias, but don't seem like that will do what we want them to in a short period of time. What can you recommend. Will most likely need a minimum of 15 - so it needs to look great. Of course we were hoping to recapture some the North by planting fast growing evergreens. Thank you. Patti in Cary, NC

Here are a couple of native North Carolina trees that might be just what you are looking for—both are conical-shaped evergreens with thick foliage that can be pruned and shaped into a privacy hedge:

Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic white cedar), with information about different cultivars/varieties from the University of Connecticut and more information from North Carolina State University.

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae), with information about different cultivars/varieties from the University of Connecticut and more information from Ohio State University. 

Chamaecyparis thyoides

Thuja occidentalis