Mr. Smarty Plants - Giant black and yellow wasp

Monday - September 08, 2008

From: Elgin, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Giant black and yellow wasp

QUESTION:

I live in Elgin, Bastrop County. This Aug/Sept. 2008 has revealed a huge black and yellow striped wasp. What is this creature and where does he come from? I'm a native Texan (Austin County) and have never seen such a frightening wasp. By the way, last summer I had numerous red wasp and yellow jackets, this summer they have been replaced by this MEGA wasp.

ANSWER:

There are any number of insects, both true wasps and insects that look like or mimic wasps that might be the bug you're describing.  We do not know what you have.  We recommend contacting your county Extension Service agent.  They might well have received other calls like yours and will know immediately what you're seeing.  If not, they might want to investigate, especially if there is evidence of an agricultural or other economic problem associated with the insects.

If possible, catch one of more specimens in a jar for inspection.  If you have good photographic equipment, close-up photographs might prove very helpful for an entomologist to help you identify your mystery insect.