En EspaŅol

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.
Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
2 ratings

Monday - September 08, 2008

From: Lake Placid, FL
Region: Southeast
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) poisonous to pets? Probaly not.
Answered by: Jimmy Mills

QUESTION:

Is Spanish Moss poisonous to pets? I have a dog which will eat anything.

ANSWER:

My first thought is that someone has probably asked Mr. Smarty Plants this question before. Looking in our "previously answered questions" file, I did find a question about medicinal uses of Spanish moss Tillandsia usneoides (Spanish moss) that only mentions briefly the toxicity issue.

Further looking provided three lists of plants regarded as being toxic to pets. Spanish moss didn't make any of the lists, however a plant common to our home gardens did; tomato (see ASPCA web site).

The lists are from the ASPCA, Cornell University, and University of California Davis.

You may want to keep the dog's dish well stocked with kibbles and bits so that the Spanish Moss doesn't look too appetizing.

 

From the Image Gallery


Spanish moss
Tillandsia usneoides

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Cutting back non-native oleanders affected by freeze in Austin
January 30, 2010 - After the last hard freeze makes my oleanders look dead. Can I cut them down to the ground this time of year?
view the full question and answer

Toxicity of Peruvian Lilies (Alstroemeria sp) for food decoration
September 04, 2006 - Hi, I am trying to find out if I can decorate a cake using live alstroemeria laid on top of the icing. I would not want to eat the flower, just lay it on top to look pretty before removing and servi...
view the full question and answer

is the rainbow Eucalyptus poisonous to horses in FL?
May 24, 2011 - Is the Rainbow Eucalyptus Tree poisonous to horses?
view the full question and answer

Food for a veiled chameleon in Columbus GA
May 20, 2011 - Hi I own a Veiled Chameleon, and have been recently searching for different options as to live plant use for their cage. It has pretty much come down to using hibiscus plants and only hibicus plants. ...
view the full question and answer

Ingestion of agave sap from Albuquerque NM
June 11, 2013 - My boyfriend was out in the Arizona desert without water for two days and sought moisture through what he thought was a yucca plant but instead we believe was agave. He sucked the moisture off the ins...
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP | STAFF
© 2015 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center