Monday - September 01, 2008

From: marble falls, TX
Title: Mystery plants at Marble Falls

QUESTION:

On the upper end of Lake Marble Falls is a 2-3 foot tall green stemed plant just blooming small white daisy like flowers. There are no leaves on the plant just stems and now flowers. Any idea where to start to identify this plant? It is growing on the gravel bar, but not too close to the water. there is water just under the gravel at lake level. There is also another plant which has appeared since the '98 flood and is quite invasive. it has leaves like a mimosa (larger) and now a tiny little orange flower which looks much like a single snap dragon. This plant grows very fast from seed - it is now 6-10 feet tall. It's not in my flower books. thanks for any help you provide

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, we cannot identify your plants from the description given.  Usually, however, we can identify mystery plants from good digital images.

Please follow the instructions below to get help with a plant ID?

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several high resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.