Friday - February 25, 2005

From: London, Other
Region: Select Region
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: How do cacti stay in ground

How do cacti stay in ground? I know that flowers stay in the ground by their roots but what about cacti?

Cactus have roots, too. Some have shallow spreading root systems and some have large tap roots or a cluster of tubers. An old night-blooming cereus (Peniocereus greggii) can have a very large tap root weighing as much as 100 pounds. to read more about cactus, you can visit the Cactus Museum web page. The cacti use their shallow roots to absorb water when it rains, but many of these roots may die when it becomes dry. Read about How Cactus Survive in the Desert.