Thursday - August 28, 2008

From: Nitro, WV
Title: Tree with orange flower blooming in August in West Virginia

QUESTION:

There is a tree with an orange flower in West Virginia. The orange is at the top of the tree and it blooms in August. I've searched your sight but cannot find it. Thanks!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks perhaps you are seeing the fruits of Rhus glabra (smooth sumac) or maybe Rhus copallinum (winged sumac).  If one of these doesn't look like your tree, please take some photos and send them to us and we will do our best to identify your plant.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plant's Plant Identification page to read the instruction for submitting photos.

Rhus glabra

Rhus glabra

Rhus copallinum

Rhus copallinum