Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Tuesday - August 19, 2008

From: Paw Paw, MI
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Hi, I live in South West Michigan and there is this plant I can't figure out. It has oval leaves in a row on each side of its stems, large thorns, and when the plant is grown it has what seems to be bark. It is not any of the plants pictured in a similar question, and it almost seems like a small-ish tree to me. Thanks for any help.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but I'm afraid we're going to need photographs for this one. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants Plant ID page to read the instructions for submitting photos.