Monday - August 25, 2008

From: Marietta, GA
Title: October wildflower bouquets for South Carolina wedding

QUESTION:

I live in Marietta, Georgia and my daughter is getting married in Pendleton, South Carolina (near Clemson,SC) October 11th. I am in charge of getting 10 wildflower bouquets for the bridesmaids !!! Can you tell me how and where I can get them the day of the wedding? Desperate for some help! Thank you!

ANSWER:

First, you can do a Combination Search in our Native Plant Database to see what wildflowers will be in bloom in October by choosing 'South Carolina' from the "Select State or Province" option, 'Herb' from the "Habit (general appearance)" category, and 'October' from "Bloom Characteristics". This will give you a list of more than 240 species. Of course, not all of them are appropriate for a bridesmaid's bouquet, but you can see what the possibilities are. I have no way of knowing where you might go to "pick your own". I think your best bet is to search in our National Suppliers Directory for a nursery in the area that specializes in native plants to see what they might have available. For example, when I searched I found Carolina Wild in Anderson, SC that deals only in native plants. Additionally, Carolina Wild is a Wildflower Center Associate that offers a 10% discount to Wildflower Center members. You can find more possibilites for native plant nurseries and seed companies in the area. A native plant nursery might also have information about florists in the area who could supply cut native wildflowers. The South Carolina Native Plant Society also has a list (with some overlap with our list) of Native Plant Nurseries.

Best of luck and I hope you have a lovely wedding!