Tuesday - August 26, 2008

From: Benton City, WA
Region: Northwest
Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Plant for eastern facing side of house in Washington

I was considering putting some Lily of the Nile in front of the eastern facing side of my home. Is this plant a suitable choice for planting here in Eastern Washington?

Lily of the Nile (Agapanthus spp.) is native to South Africa so we wouldn't recommend them for planting since what we are about here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to "increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes."   You can see a list of more than 200 Washington Recommended native species that are commercially available for landscaping by clicking on Washington on the map on our Recommended Species page.  Here are some choices from that list that you might consider instead of Lily of the Nile:

Iris missouriensis (Rocky Mountain iris)

Iris douglasiana (Douglas iris)

Brodiaea coronaria (crown brodiaea)

Camassia quamash (small camas)

Lilium columbianum (Columbia lily)

Maianthemum stellatum (starry false lily of the valley)

Triteleia grandiflora var. grandiflora (largeflower triteleia)

Aconitum columbianum (Columbian monkshood)

Lupinus sericeus (silky lupine)

Phacelia sericea (silky phacelia)

Aquilegia formosa (western columbine)

Chamerion angustifolium ssp. angustifolium (fireweed)

Iris missouriensis

Iris douglasiana

Brodiaea coronaria

Camassia quamash

Lilium columbianum

Maianthemum stellatum

Triteleia grandiflora var. grandiflora

Aconitum columbianum

Lupinus sericeus

Phacelia sericea

Aquilegia formosa

Chamerion angustifolium ssp. angustifolium