Mr. Smarty Plants - Is balsam gourd (Ibervillea lindheimeri) poisonous or edible?

Monday - August 18, 2008

From: Gatesville, TX
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Is balsam gourd (Ibervillea lindheimeri) poisonous or edible?

QUESTION:

Is the Balsam Gourd edible or poisonous?

ANSWER:

It seems that Ibervillea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's globeberry) is neither poisonous nor edible. It does not appear in any of the following toxic plant databases:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

Texas Toxic Plant Database

And, either it is not listed in edible plant books (Tull, Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest; Allen, Edible Plants of the Gulf South ) or it's listed as inedible (Miller, Landscaping with Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest; Field Journal, Capital Area Master Naturalists, March 2008; TexasBeyondHistory.net.)

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri