Friday - August 22, 2008

From: Laredo, TX
Topic: Green Roofs
Title: Plants for green roof in Laredo

QUESTION:

Hello, I am working on a green roof, and I saw your section of "Native Green Roof", and I saw good plants that I would like to use, but I am not sure if they will be suitable because of the roots (maybe they are tap roots). I've researching but I haven't been able to find out, the plants that I am interested in are Penstemon triflorus, Phyla nodiflora, Salvia greggii, Salvia farinácea, and Dalea greggii. Thanks! P.S. My green roof would be between 6" and 16" deep, depending on the slope.

ANSWER:

Please look at the Species List from Wildflower Center Research recommended for green roofs and you will find all the species you have listed are on this list along with 18 other species. They would work very well. You might also look at native wildflowers growing in your vicinity—especially ones growing in tough situations like in ditches or vacant lots with constant sun and heat. If they are doing well there with no particular care from anyone, they should do well on your green roof. I suggest, also, that you read the answer to a previous question about green roof plants for Monterrey, Mexico.