Mr. Smarty Plants - Source of Tridens flavus, purple-top grass

Wednesday - February 23, 2005

From: Pound Ridge, NY
Title: Source of Tridens flavus, purple-top grass

QUESTION:

Will you kindly refer me to a grower from whom I may purchase plugs of Tridens flavus, purple-top grass. for a meadow installation in zone 6.

ANSWER:

On the Wildflower Center web page you can search for plant suppliers over the United States that specialize in native plants. On the side bar choose Explore Plants, then Suppliers Directory. On that page you can choose Nurseries or Seed Companies and then search by state or region. I searched in Seed Companies in the Northeast Region and found Ernst Conservation Seeds in Meadville, Pennsylvania and in the Midwest Region I found Prairie Moon Nursery in Winona, Minnesota with seeds of purple-top for sale. I could find no place with plugs for sale, but you might search in other regions in our Seed Companies or Nurseries databases and locate someone who carries plugs.

You might also be interested in reading "Wildflower Meadow Gardening", a 2-page PDF article that you can download from our Native Plant Library.

Purpletop tridens
Tridens flavus