Sunday - August 10, 2008

From: Asheville, NC
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are leaves of banana trees poisonous?

QUESTION:

are the leaves of banana trees poisonous? the tree will be in a preschool classroom How do i care for the tree?

ANSWER:

The edible banana (Musa spp.) is a native of the Indo-Malaysian region. What we're all about here at the Wildflower Center is "to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes" (that is, natives of North America), but we're happy to point you in the right direction to find out about banana plants. You can read about Banana Plant growing instructions and care from The Banana Tree.

Neither the leaves, nor any other part of the banana plant, appear to be poisonous. None of the following toxic plant databases have listed it:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina, Cornell University Poisonous Plants Informational Database or Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System.