Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant with red berries that grows near the Warner River

Monday - August 04, 2008

From: Warner, NH
Title: Plant with red berries that grows near the Warner River

QUESTION:

We live next to a river, the Warner River, and every year these plants with red berries appear next to the river. we have search for name to no avail: the leaf is unique with one large spade shaped petal and 2 small ones at the base. The small flower is purple with a small gold stamin in center. can you help?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is going to need some more information (or, better yet, some photos) to identify your plant. How large is it? Is it a woody plant? a bush? a small tree? an herb? a vine? If it is still there, please take photos and send them to us and we will do our best to identify it. Take a photo of: 1) the entire plant so that we can see the shape; 2) the stem showing the arrangement of the leaves and/or branches; 3) a closeup of a leaf; 4) a closeup of the flower, if still present; and 5) a closeup of the berries. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to read instructions (under "Plant Identification") for submitting photos.