Monday - August 04, 2008

From: Warner, NH
Title: Plant with red berries that grows near the Warner River

We live next to a river, the Warner River, and every year these plants with red berries appear next to the river. we have search for name to no avail: the leaf is unique with one large spade shaped petal and 2 small ones at the base. The small flower is purple with a small gold stamin in center. can you help?

Mr. Smarty Plants is going to need some more information (or, better yet, some photos) to identify your plant. How large is it? Is it a woody plant? a bush? a small tree? an herb? a vine? If it is still there, please take photos and send them to us and we will do our best to identify it. Take a photo of: 1) the entire plant so that we can see the shape; 2) the stem showing the arrangement of the leaves and/or branches; 3) a closeup of a leaf; 4) a closeup of the flower, if still present; and 5) a closeup of the berries. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to read instructions (under "Plant Identification") for submitting photos.